What is KidzStart?
KidzStart is a our new community project with the mission of helping new parents within the community. We know that being a parent is hard: mentally, physically, emotionally, and financially. That’s why, through KidzStart, we want to give a helping hand to new and existing parents who are struggling with the demands of parenthood.
We aim to do this by providing our very own KidzStart bags to any referred families that may need a little support. Our bags are handmade from upcycled denim. This means they are environmentally friendly, reusable, and delightfully unique.
KidzStart bags are filled to the brim with everyday essentials that are needed for a newborns or young children. Each bag is crafted using the wonderful, high-quality, donations that we receive. Our fantastic volunteers sort through the donations and choose the best and most useful items for our KidzStart bags. Finally, the finished bags are given to the families that may need a little help… all for FREE!
How can you help with the project?
- We are always looking for quality items that you would consider to be essential for newborns or young children. For example: unworn baby items such as clothes, shoes, mitts, sleepsuits, vests and hats as well as nappies, cotton wool, wipes and other toiletries.
- If you are interested in donating collections for KidzStart are being taken in from both our Bathgate and Livingston shops.
- If you are a crafter and enjoy knitting or crocheting, then you too can support the Kidzeco project by providing us with any of your wonderful cardigans, hats, mitts, booties and blankets for newborn babies.
- If you have denim jeans you no longer wear, don’t bin them, pass them to us! They will help us make our KidzStart bags. Our bags are large – so the bigger the better! Just hand them in at either of our shops.
- You can give your time to the project by helping to sew the bags, sort through donations, or pack our KidzStart bags. You will also have the opportunity to take advantage of all the fantastic benefits volunteering provides.
- Each finished KidzStart bag costs around £50 to put together. Any financial donations, large or small, that you can spare will help us continue the project and help support more families.